Search This Blog

Friday, July 13, 2007

A Salubrious Summer-Time Receipt

I would like to share with you one of our summer favorites. I first had Gazpacho at "Falls Cottage" in downtown Greenville, and enjoyed it so much, I just had to make it. Upon locating a receipt in a cookbook called "Perenials", we began making this a regular during the summer months. I usually serve this cold soup up with some muffins, but last night I had a real "hankerin" for egg-rolls. Now don't tell me that Italian and Oriental do not go together. They did at my house last night, and nobody complained!

GAZPACHO
1 clove garlic
1/2 small onion
1 stalk celery
1/2 small green pepper
3 larg ripe tomatoes
(use 2-1# cans if nec.)
1 medium cucumber, peeled
1-1/2 C tomato juice
3 T wine vinegar
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried basil

Put half the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until desired consistency; do not puree. Pour into large bowl. Blend the other half and do the same. Pour into bowl, cover, and refrigerate for a couple of hours to get good and cold.
Serve in colorful bowls.

No comments: