Search This Blog

Monday, January 14, 2008

So Much More

When I was a very young woman in my teens, I began collecting pictures from magazines and other sources of women wearing pretty, feminine clothing. Many of them were from the Victorian era. At that time, in the early 1970's long dresses were "in style" and many advertisements featured young ladies in flowing dresses. I cut pictures out and assembled them in my own version of a home-made scrapbook. I loved looking at my book, as it seemed to be a sort of reference for me that reminded me that femininity exists ~ if only in my own heart.
At that time, the ERA amendment was a hot topic. Feminism had arrived. I had no idea what it was all about, I just thought it only sounded right that women get paid fairly. Since that time, our culture has undergone devastating change, and most of us never realized what was happening.
I kept my scrapbook and my ideals. But I did change, I'm sorry to say, along with the culture. But deep in my heart, I still loved all that "feminine stuff".

Dear reader, perhaps you also are drawn to femininity, but just don't know what you are supposed to do with "it". How does it fit into our modern lifestyle? What does God think of it? After all, His thoughts are what really count!

I have recently finished reading a book that just might interest you. It answers so many questions pertaining to young women in particular, but can help all of us as ladies, to understand how we are so off track.

This book is titled "So Much More" by Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin. They were at the time of writing 17 and 15, but don't be put off by their age. These young women are wise and noble beyond their years! They have had a life that has put them in company of dignitaries and great people, and have learned the great art of self-possession.

I would like to quote from two passages in the first chapter.

"God doesn't call us to "find our place in the world" but to wage war with a worldly culture that has declared war on God's design. That is why our father has inspired us to be as different as we need to be in order to be obedient to God's design."

"Maybe a warning is needed. Don't read this book at all (I would rephrase:"You won't like this book. ...") if you have a bad attitude toward your father and if you are trying to keep your distance from him. Many girls enjoy having "space" away from their fathers. That space is dangerous."

The book is written to daughters. It is direct, but very kind and gracious. It gives background information on feminism that reveals the "real" issue, which isn't feminism at all. Very thought provoking.

The ladies show us very compelling evidence from scripture that we Christians are not living up to His standard for women. I hate to say this, but many of us are Christian feminists!

This is truly an eye-opener, but more than anything, the reader is left with great hope. We simply need a new "vision". We need to see that there are better choices for Christians women than the choices our Godless culture says are right.

If you would like to get a copy of "So Much More", you may get one at http://www.visionforum.com/search/productdetail.aspx?search=So+Much+More&productid=57882

I strongly recommend you request a catalog from Vision Forum http://www.visionforum.com/about/catalogrequest

Even if you don't read the book, I hope you will begin your own "scrapbook"!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Mamma for this post.
Reading So Much More has given me a different outlook on life and given me a hope for the future. I love how they show you that you CAN be a godly young women living in an ungodly world and that you do not have to do what the culture tells you to do.
Now I'm inspired to start re-reading the book again! :o)
~Ashley