Search This Blog

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Spring Project


Since returning home from San Antonio April 2, I have been busily occupied. While I was at the conference, I got to thinking about how I use my time. I really needed to evaluate my own priorities ~ the real ones ~ the ones that are lived out. It is so easy to pour time into things that take me away from my purpose ~ that as wife, mother, and homemaker. That is why my blog has been neglected.
As a homemaker, I really need to be sure my home is inviting to my husband. It is his castle: it is his labor that provides it, and my industry that makes it his home. To this end I have purposed to invest my time. If the Lord wills me to do anything in addition to this, He will enable me to do so through His blessing.


On Monday morning, my diligent, hard working son Tristan, began painting the kitchen. In the picture above, you will see the windows that look out into the east garden. (I hope to show you pictures of that garden's progress in the next few days.) The whole house was painted white, but I really love color on the walls. So I chose a bright, clear blue based lemon yellow for the walls, and put a blue on the 10 foot ceiling.


I love the way the dark wood stands out with this yellow. I would have chosen to have pretty white glass-fronted cabinets, but I am very happy with these! They are solid wood, and custom made for this house. You can see into the pantry that is nearly finished.


We have a way to go, as you can see. Collin is my "trim" man, so he will come in now and paint windows and woodwork. Tristan is going to start painting the dining room today! I sure hope I can keep up with these boys!

3 comments:

Paula said...

Dear Sweet Sharon,
I enjoyed seeing the beautiful work your dear boys are doing in the kitchen and dining room! Your home is so beautiful! The yellow is lovely and it does look so pretty with the wood. I, like you, would love to have white cabinets with glass doors, but we have wood as well that the previous owner built himself. Your wood cabinets and wood flooring are absolutely gorgeous! So old-fashioned!

I love what you shared, "As a homemaker, I really need to be sure my home is inviting to my husband, it is his castle: it is his labor that provides it, and my industry that makes it his home. To this end I have purposed to invest my time." Oh, that was so beautifully said, and I could not agree more!!! I also have been thinking, lately, how I use my time. I want to use every bit of it wisely, to be the best helpmeet to my husband, helping him fulfill our vision for our family and the generations to follow. As you said, "It is so easy to pour time into things that take me away from my purpose." That is so true!

The work we do in our home is vital, and preparing meals from scratch, painting the kitchen, etc. are all part of keeping a home and making it inviting for our husbands. My husband is so happy when he comes home from work, he always tells me oh, the house looks so pretty, you look so pretty! I am so blessed to have him. He is so grateful for what I do in our home. It means so much to him. Your dear husband and precious children are so very blessed to have you! You love and care for them, prepare meals, keep your home clean and enjoy making it a beautiful place for them to be! You are spending your time wisely, and what a godly encouragement you are!!!!

I just love how those windows look out into your lovely garden. I do look forward to seeing the progress of your garden. Thank you so much for sharing the photos, I enjoyed "visiting" in your lovely kitchen! I can hardly wait to see it all finished.

Let us enjoy decorating and beautifying our homes, making them lovely places for our dear husbands to come home too, all the while glorying God in the keeping of our homes!

Sharon said...

Dear Paula,

What an encouragement you are to me! I thank you so much for doing so. I appreciate your sharing how your husband comes home and tells you how nice everything looks, and how it bleses him. That is joy and satisfaction beyond what any feministic ideal could ever hope to attain!
sharon

Paula said...

Dear Sharon,

You are welcome! I thank you for being such an encouragement to me!

I wholeheartedly agree with what you said, "That is a joy and satisfaction beyond what any feministic ideal could ever hope to attain!" So very true!

Paula