Search This Blog

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hymn For The Lord's Day: Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah

Excerpts from the Thirty-third Psalm

Let all the earth fear the Lord: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. ...

The Lord bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices of the people of none effect. The counsel of the Lord standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance. ...

There is no king saved by the multitude of an host: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength. An horse is a vain thing for safety: neither shall he deliver any by his great strength. Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine. Our soul waiteth for the Lord: he is our help and our shield.

For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name. Let thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we hope in thee.


GUIDE ME, O THOU GREAT JEHOVAH

William Williams 1717-1791


Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
Pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but Thou art mighty;
Hold me with Thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
Feed me till I want no more,
Feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
Whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through;
Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer,
Be Thou still my strength and shield,
Be Thou still my strength and shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of death, and hell's destruction,
Land me safe on Canaan's side;
Songs of praises, songs of praises
I will ever give to Thee.
I will ever give to Thee.


I encourage you to pick up the Holy Scriptures this day and turn your thoughts to His Word.
If we, as individuals, familys, churches, and as a nation, ever needed His counsel, it is now.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Dear Sharon,

I am so glad to see you back online! Oh, this is beautiful scripture and a beautiful hymn! Thank you so much for sharing this, and for your kind words of wisdom!!!
That is so very, very true! Have a blessed Lord's Day! Paula