Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Strawberry Time!


Last weekend, Ashley took us strawberry picking. We had a very nice time in the early morning hours, procuring enough of these luscious fruits to make strawberry jam, as well as strawberry shortcake.



Here I am, having the time of my life!




I found this little doily in a local thrift shop.



Ashley cleaned them all for me when she got home. What a blessing! We brought home four gallons.





I found a receipt for strawberry shortcake in this 1923 cookbook my mother gave me.



Strawberry Shortcake

2 1/4 C flour
4T sugar
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 T butter
1 egg
2/3 C milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Cut butter in with spatula or mixing spoon. Beat egg light and add to the milk, the combine the dry ingredients, milk, egg and vanilla.
Knead into a soft dough and roll on floured board to thickness of about 1/2 inch.
Cut in individual shapes larger that for biscuits. Bake in quick oven for about 10 minutes, browning to a delicate brown.
remove from oven and while warm, split each cake and spread a little butter on under half. Have half crushed sugared strawberries ready and spread between the split cakes. On top of cakes spread strawberries after they have been rolled in powdered sugar. On top of strawberries place a generous spoonful of whipped cream with one red berry on top of this.





2 comments:

Paula said...

My dear Sharon,

What a delightful post!!! As I told Ashley, that beautiful picture of you looks like something out of a painting! You are so lovely and feminine!

The doily you found is so darling, and goes especially well with your pretty strawberry bowl and the fresh strawberries as well!

Oh those strawberries you all picked looks so pretty and fresh! I love strawberries!

Thank you for sharing the receipt from the lovely vintage cookbook your mother gave you! What a nice old cookbook!

I love your mixing bowl with the old pastry cutter and the glass jar with your flour in it. I store everything in glass jars. It is so old-fashioned looking, and healthier too!

The receipt sounds wonderful! I love how it states to "bake in a quick oven." Wouldn't you love to have an restored old vintage stove to cook and bake with?

Oh, the Strawberry Shortcake looks so delicious!!!! Not to mention pretty as is the lovely platter in the photo! I know your dear family enjoyed this delicious dessert and appreciate the time you and Ashley took to pick fresh strawberries!

I enjoyed your inspiring post and beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing!
Paula

Maggie Ann said...

Oh yum! Your pictures are delightful and I've really enjoyed visiting your blog...=)