Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Time To Show You Around: Chair Cushions

The last few weeks have been used to do a lot of catch-up here in my home. I call it "puttering". I've had a lot of fun doing homemaking projects like hanging pictures, putting out doilies and decorations, organizing, etc. Just the kind of things I love doing. I'm so thankful the Lord has allowed me to have a home to create for my husband.

After the John-Johns were finished, I was determined to finish decorating the sewing room. I would like you to see the chairs that I finished covering.

I started with these old chairs that came out of a school. They are wonderful heavy oak. Nice for a library, but not quite the look I wanted for this room



















Sometime back, I made the covers for the backs.

I put a layer or two of polyester fleece under the fabric to give it some form. Do you like my little wooden doll? She was hand made by a friend. She has the sweetest little lady face and moss for hair! For many years, she sat on my old treadle sewing machine (which is still in hiding!).

For the cushions, I used this. They come in several standard sizes, although I don't see why you couldn't cut them to suit your purposes with an electric bread knife. I'm hoping to used Nu-Foam (densified batting) on my porch furniture, as they are supposed to resist and do not yellow.

Chair cushion added.

Here's how they attach.

These little tiny rose~covered buttons would make a lovely detail many sewing projects.


I got to looking at my Hancocks bag and was surprised as well as delighted to see these words printed beneath our flag.http://www.hancockfabrics.com/images/us///local/page_specific/home/06302008/select-fabrics


I also liked this! Visit their website here.http://www.peah.com/

It sure is good to be back. Thank you for taking the time to visit with me. I hope to have pictures posted on my "puttering" results.

5 comments:

Shan said...

Dearest,

Your sewing room is just lovely! I enjoy all the darling pictures of your home and family.

You are truly an inspiration to me.

Yours kindredly,
Shan
Honey Hill Farm

Sharon said...

Shan,

I'm glad you think so! You don't know what a pleasure it is to have my own little corner to mess up! Sharon

Paula said...

Dear Sharon,

I am just delighted to see you back!!! I have missed you dear friend! Oh, your chair covers are so pretty and I love your idea for covering the buttons with the sweet rose fabric you used! You sew beautifully!

Your doll is so cute!

I am so glad to hear you have been "puttering" and I look forward to seeing your results!!!

It is a blessing to see a company that will say "God Bless America" on their packaging and I liked the peah too!

Thank you for sharing your project!
Blessings,
Paula

Sharon said...

Paula,I thought about you most of the time I was working on these chair cushions! I thought how much you would like this fabric, and that it would go so well in YOUR sewing room!
Sharon

Paula said...

Dear Sharon,

You are so sweet to have been thinking of me while you were making the chair cushions! You are right, I like that fabric and it would go so well in my sewing room! It goes perfectly in yours! We like the same things!
Blessings,
Paula